Simply click here to download the IT77 form, print it out and follow these easy steps to completing it.
1. You will need the following documents to be submitted with your completed IT77 form:
- A certified legible copy of your ID, passport or drivers license. Certification of copied documents can be done at your nearest police station (just remember to take the original along too).
- Proof of address (this can be a rates bill, utilities bill, phone bill, bank statement etc – anything that shows your name and your address on an official letterhead)
- 3 months banks statements, original and stamped by the bank.
SARS used to require proof of your banking details for registration, but now the process has changed. You only need to supply this proof when you submit your first ITR12 tax return and do so in person or by post. If you will be using eFiling to submit online, the proof documents won’t be required.
2. Now let’s have a look at the registration form and complete it step-by-step:
- Page 1 requires you to enter in all your personal details. Be as up-to-date and accurate as you can to avoid having to repeat any of this information if SARS requires it. If you don’t know what a VDP agreement is then just mark the No box under the Voluntary Disclosure Programme section. Remember to sign this page with your signature.
- Page 2 requires you to enter the details of your tax practitioner, if you are using one. Tax Refund is not a tax practitioner, so don’t enter our details there! Your employer’s details are also required on this page. If you have an existing IRP5 then you should be able to find the details there.
- Page 3 asks you to describe the details of your income and where it comes from. When describing the source of your income, enter dates values in YYYYMMDD format e.g. 20150301 (for 1st March 2015). The Gross Amount is your total income before any deductions have been subtracted. Page 3 also requests the details of any partners that you are in a partnership with to earn an income.
- Page 4 asks about your Estate details. This page does not apply to you as an individual. Best to just ignore it.
- Page 5 contains information about what documents you may or may not need. There is nothing to complete here.
3. Pop into your nearest SARS branch with the completed IT77 form and relevant documentation and leave it with a friendly SARS employee working at the counter. Remember to get an acknowledgement slip from SARS as it contains your reference number and stands as proof that you have indeed submitted your registration forms.
If you prefer, you can post these documents to the postal address of your nearest office instead.